1.05.2013

The Beginning of the End

Part of me even hates to write this,
and the other part of me loves it.
It is an equal 50/50 split.

we were excited.
There was so much unknown,
so much to be discovered.
It was the grand adventure that God had set before us,
and we were embarking on it together,
Spencer and I.
A big move,
a big adventure,
something new and fresh.

Where will we live?

It is so interesting to see
how everything has laid out.
It is so amazing to see that God had such an amazing and intricate plan for us!
From conceiving Claire and having her here,
bringing us to New Hope church and receiving healing in our marriage there,
to bringing is now to East Hill church where we were encouraged in our marriage,
our parenting and establishing a church community.
Meeting amazing people and growing strong friendships
with fellow students and their families.
Details, God cares about the details!

We have set roots here,
we may have tried not to,
but we did.
By the time we move home,
we'll have spent the majority of our marriage here.
We started our family here.
We will always look back on our time here with fond memories.

A while ago we began the year of lasts.
"Last summer by the pool."
"Last fall"
"Last Christmas".
Now its time we start talking about the future again.
Another big move,
another transition.
Where will we live?
Who will our friends be?
Sure, we have friends there, but who else will be brought into our lives?
What will life be like after school?
Dr. and Mrs. Smid?! 

God opened yet another door for us
(we are so thankful for his provisions!)
when we were made aware of an opportunity for Spencer to work in South Delta. 
It is so comforting to know what city we'll be settling in!
What peace of mind and comfort.

Soon we will begin to pack up things we no longer need.
Christmas decorations,
infant clothes and toys,
text books and start to bring them back bit by bit.
Spencer will begin to write his Canadian boards in a month,
and in the months to follow that we will begin to search for our new home. 

New memories,
new jobs,
new home, 
new community.

It was almost three years ago exactly
that this whole whirl wind began. 
Thoughts of what if,
could it work?
Portland?
(To me it was always that place with lots of bridges we'd stop for a meal or bathroom break on the way to Disneyland! I'd never given it much more thought then that!)

Soon we received acceptance letters,
campus tours,
apartment hunting.
And now here we are on the other side.
The side that seemed so out of reach, so far away.

Through each and every single step,
every little detail,
God has continually not just opened but swung the doors open wide.
We've never had to wait for Him, 
not once had to sit and wonder "Where is He in all of this?"
because it has been so obvious! 
We are a testimony to God's perfect timing and provision.

He is so good!
We are so excited to see what He has in store for us in 2013!
So as excited as we are to move back to Vancouver, a little piece of my heart will always remain in Portland, Oregon.

I’ll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11 
The Message

“I’m telling you these things while I’m still living with you. The Friend, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send at my request, will make everything plain to you. He will remind you of all the things I have told you. I’m leaving you well and whole. That’s my parting gift to you. Peace. I don’t leave you the way you’re used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don’t be upset. Don’t be distraught.
John 14:27
The Message

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Michelle. God is so good and gracious and does care about the details.
    I am excited to see how God moves in your family in the year ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line and say hello!