3.23.2015

Women In Business: Eran Jayne Photography


 {photos courtesy of Eran Jayne Photography. Do not use without permission.}

Today we are featuring another amazing Woman In Business. At Just An Ordinary Family we love to support women who follow their dreams and become their own boss. Although I have never met Eran personally I feel like we connected over email and even found a mutual friend. 

Eran is a wife and mommy from South Delta just like I am. I love supporting other mommies! Eran is a local photographer with an eye for beauty in everything and a way of catching detail on camera. She works in everything from boudoir to weddings to babies. She has skill to photograph you no matter what stage of life you are in. Make sure you check out her galleries on her website {link below} to see some of her amazing work. Read on below to see how she made the leap to being her own boss and what inspires her work.

Just An Ordinary Family: When did you begin your photography business? 

Eran Jayne Photography: It was the fall of 2011.  I had just returned from a life-changing solo trip to Bordeaux, France, where I had sequestered myself, determined to decide "what I wanted to do when I grew up". While there, I fell in love with photography again, and when I came home, I decided that I would just make the leap, and become a photographer.

JAOF: What, or who, inspired you to start your own business?

EJP: While in Bordeaux, I read a lot of self-help books about finding my purpose, and discovering my dream career etc. But there is one book that I read there, that I've continued to read at least once a year, and have come to regard as my own personal bible, and that is Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat Pray Love".  Her writing inspired me, and continues to inspire me to listen to my heart, connect with my soul, and take chances on myself and my own happiness.

JAOF: What career did you have before? What experience did you have in owning your own business before?

EJP: Before becoming a photographer, I was an event coordinator for a non-profit organization. I had absolutely ZERO experience owning my own business!

JAOF: What advice would you give to someone who is hesitant to make the leap from employer to starting their own company and being their own boss?

EJP: It's not easy, and you will work harder for yourself than you ever did for someone else - but it is 100% worth it.  You need to stay focused, keep making new plans, be flexible to adjusting your plans, keep up-to-date on everything new in your field, and be prepared to wear MANY hats.  My business card may say "photographer", but on any given day, I'm also a photo editor, a graphic designer, a writer, an artistic director, a social media guru, a marketing expert, a networker, a negotiator, a bookkeeper - the list goes on and on!

JAOF:: Being a mom, wife and entrepreneur is hard work! How do you manage your time?

EJP: Lists, calendars, scheduling!  I've had to become really good at compartmentalizing each aspect of my day.  It doesn't work for me to "multi-task" - I need to either be in 100% "mom mode" or 100% "work mode".  So, when my son is at daycare, I use those hours to work. My husband and I schedule regular date nights, and I also schedule regular solo time, at least once a week, so I can practice self-care with things like bubble baths, celebrity gossip, pedicures, or hunkering down with a good book!

JAOF: What 3 pieces of encouragement or tips would you give to someone who is starting out as their own boss?

  EJP: 1: Persistence - if you really believe in what you are doing, keep at it. Keep your eye on the prize, always putting one foot in front of the other, and check in on your goals and plans regularly.
  2: Schedule down time for yourself. It is SO easy to dedicate ALL of your extra time to your business, but you will quickly run yourself ragged.  Make sure you take care of yourself.
  3: Don't let what others are doing influence what you are doing too much. There will always be competitors - but that's a good thing! Focus on your strengths and what you are good at, put 100% love and commitment into your work, and the clients will follow.

JAOF: How does your work connect you to the community? What kinds of ways do you involve yourself in community activities?

EJP: What I love about photography is that it is such a social business, when I'm actually out at a shoot! I get to connect with families and people in my community, by taking their photos, making them laugh, and making them feel beautiful. It's AWESOME.

I also try to get out into the community and volunteer my time with photography as well. Last fall, I took photos at the Westham Island Herb Farm pumpkin patch, and collected donations for the Delta Hospital Foundation.  In a few weeks, I'm volunteering my time at the Rotary's Easter Pancake Breakfast, taking photos of kids with the Easter Bunny. I LOVE doing events like this and connecting with the community.

JAOF: Tell me about marketing. Do you market yourself? In what ways? What are your favourite tools to use?

EJP: Oh yes! I spend a TON of time marketing myself (more time doing this than actually photographing!!).  I blog regularly on my website, and I promote my posts on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Instagram.  I use Facebook ads. I have a mailing list. I am constantly posting images of my work on social media. I also attend networking events, for moms and women in business. It's fun, but very time-consuming!

JAOF:  What do you want Eran Jayne Photography to be known for? What 'brand' do you want to have for yourself and your company?

EJP: I want to provide quality, memorable work for people. I want to make people laugh, and I want people to feel GOOD after they've had a session with me. I want my images to mean something to my clients, and I want them to feel like they made the right choice when choosing a photographer, and that they wouldn't hesitate in recommending me to a friend. 

JAOF: Who inspires you in your work?

EJP: To be honest, I'm inspired but lots of little every day things.  That mischievous look on my son's face. The way the evening light hits grassy fields. A gorgeous image on Pinterest. A beautifully tired mom at the grocery store. A striking paragraph in the latest novel I'm reading. A new song on the radio. Lots of little every day things.

Photos of Eran and her family on her son's second birthday.
 {photos courtesy of Eran Jayne Photography. Do not use without permission.}

Thank you Eran for opening up on our blog and sharing your passion with us. We wish you the very best in your endeavours!

You can connect with Eran Jayne Photography on her website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line and say hello!