2.06.2015

Motherhood

Happy Friday!
It is a long weekend here in B.C. Canada
and my wonderful husband took today off work to make it a 4 day weekend.
We are off on a little get-away to spend some 
time together as a family.
Really looking forward to lounging in my yoga
pants and sharing diaper duty! 


There have been many articles the past 
while floating around the internet.
Moms pouring their hearts into words
about the reality of motherhood.
You are familiar with it I am sure,
even if it was many moons ago.

The reality of a blissful,
sleep deprived, emotional rollercoaster,
cheerios mushed into the  carpet,
spilled milk,
sticky kisses and big squishy hugs 
motherhood.


Dear friends,
I write to you from the trenches of this reality.
And oh my gosh I love every single bit of it!
These are the days I longed for and already they are too quickly passing.
We aren't even done our family yet and 
already I feel is slipping from my fingertips.



When I was in grade 3 I distinctly
remember my teacher asking the age old
"What do you want to be when you grow up" question.
To which I confidently replied,
"A mom."
I wanted it to be my full time job.
I didn't yearn for a career,
anything before or after would just be a job to me.
What I wanted was to have babies,
mother them, play with them, be creative with them
and love so hard on them. 

Over time I began to feel that 
this response was inadequate.
Why, in a world that we worked so hard
to get to a place where women can thrive and excel in the workplace,
would I choose the life of June Cleaver?
This iconic version of a 1950's housewife seemed so silly.
Not that it is exactly what I wanted.
But, yes, I did want to stay at home with my kids.
Take them to and from school,
be a chaperone on field trips and volunteer in their classrooms.
I did want to be at home to bake and cook
and make meals for not only my children but my husband, too.
I wanted him to be taken care of because he goes to work
so that I can stay at home and do what I wanted to do too.
My husband chose his career not only because of his passion
but because I could stay at home.

Before everyone gets their knickers in a knot,
please do not thinking I am pointing out 
those who must go to work
or want to go to work.
I am not talking about that.
(That is a whole other area of Judgey Mom syndrome I really don't want to get into.)
I am talking about what I wanted growing up,
and how now I am so blessed to be able to live out that dream.

Anyway, back to what I was saying.
Soon I began to realize that choosing to be a stay at home mom 
was an inadequate response to that particular question.
I got giggles and snickers and so I changed my answer.
I said I wanted to be a teacher.
Not realising at the time that teaching is indeed a gift.
After a few months of volunteering and many tears later
I realized I do not possess that gift.

I guess what I am trying to say is that 
yes, like any other job,
motherhood is very hard and at times very isolating.
Other moms blog about the realities of motherhood
because it makes other moms feel understood.
That there is so much beauty in that sticky job,
in the simplicity of our days and long nights.
That when we put our hearts into these words
it gives other moms a little bit of encouragement to keep on keepin' on.


Here are two other blogs I have read recently 
that have greatly encouraged me. 
by Denise Stirk on PopSugar
but Elissa Joy Watts
on Professional Amateur

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did
and even mutter a few 
"mmhmm" and "Amen, sister" phrases like I did.

Happy Weekend everyone!
If it is Family Day Monday like it is here,
I hope you enjoy some fun activities together!

xo,
Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line and say hello!