3.15.2010

Wheat Free

*This blog has some information that is personal. If you do not feel comfortable reading things about being bloated, then just close it now, ok?*



As of yesterday I am "Wheat Free".



There have been some changes in my body lately. I just can't seem to pin down what it is. Nothing too major, so don't worry! I do have hypothyroidism, which I have lived with ALL my life (that in itself is a mystery as most people develop it later in life.) That can be both good and bad. Good in the way that I don't need to try and remember to take my meds, and it doesn't bother me that I have to. I know how my body ticks, how it works and its quirks, because I have to. I get checked out by FABULOUS doctor regularely. She checks into those little quirks and nows my body well, as well.



Lately I have been feeling tired, sluggish, bloated and have started having acne. I had a bunch of blood work done and other fun "doctorly" things, and sure enough, my thyroid was off. Just a bit, nothing major. Now its back on track, so I am hoping it is only a matter of time before things start to change.



There are certain things I feel, and I have never really known if they are "Michelle Quirks" or side effects of a woman living with Hypothyroidism. But the more research I do and the more questions I ask, the more I find out that its not just me! *FEWF* Having so many resources at my fingertips and an incredible smart, wonderful and caring doctor is SUCH a blessing, I can't even begin to tell you!



Recently a close friend of mine was told she is allergic to wheat. Hm. When she received a book from her doctor and began to read it, she thought of me because apparently many of the symptoms listed were things that I had been complaining (you can complain to your best friend, right?) about lately. Acne, bloating, tired - to name a few.



So I have been looking into what it means to live a wheat free life. Sure enough, I can relate to quite a few of the symptoms listed. Now I understand this does not mean I am allergic to wheat and I am not self-disgnosing. It just makes me wonder. I am going to try this wheat-free diet for 21 days and see how I feel. If I notice a difference, then I am going to call up my doctor and have a chat. We will see what she has to say.



In the meantime I have cut out wheat from my diet as of yesterday. It is MUCH harder then it looks! That cake is calling my name...pizza? Nope. This new home made bread recipe I have discovered, now its just for Spencer. There are a LOT of foods that have wheat!



There is a big difference between wheat intolerahttp://www.wheat-free.org/wheat-allergy.htmlnce (which is what I am exploring), wheat allergy and celiac disease (living gluten free.) Look into it you guys, you might be interested at what you find!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line and say hello!