2.27.2015

Women In Business: Simply Mel & Co

{photo courtesy of Simply Mel & Co's etsy page}


Today we are featuring an Etsy shop 
on Women In Business.
Simply Mel & Co sells great
accessories for the woman and little woman in your life.
She has some great pieces so that Mama and her little princess can coordinate,
or simply make a statement alone.


A couple of months back I ordered some
stand out pieces for my girls and a pair of earrings for myself.
Simply Mel & Co was also gracious enough 
to answer some questions for me about starting up her own business.

The pieces arrived and I was so pleased.
Not only was it packaged so pretty
(I really am a sucker for great packaging!)
but she included a sweet card and an extra pair of earrings!
Thanks Simply Mel & Co! 


{photo courtesy of Simply Mel & Co's Facebook page}

It is hard to pick a favourite,
but I do absolutely love Buffalo plaid and the headband fit both my girls,
so I think it won first place.
It it is so adorable on them!




My darling eldest daughter 
has questionable clothing taste these days.
She often pairs her Adidas track pants with 
a floral blouse and a tiara.
Or her oversized Thompson Rivers hoodie with a floofy skirt
and rubber boots.
She's three, I am sure you get the picture.
I was so thankful when she was willing to 
work her new plaid scarf into the mix! 
She loves it.
and so do I.

 {Cardigan by Wheat Canada and t shirt by SHE IS Clothing }



The earrings are so sweet. I have worn them often
and they don't hurt my ears.
Each time I wear them someone asks me where I got them,
and I happily tell them Simply Mel & Co.

Supporting small businesses is important to me.
I try to buy local and support small businesses whenever I can.
I love that Mel is a stay at home mom and works from her home in Kamloops.
She communicates well, puts her family first and I love that about her. 

Here is a little Q and A with Simply Mel & Co!

Just An Ordinary Family: Did you work before Simply Mel & Co?
Simply Mel & Co: I worked for my mom's company Tracycakes. 
JAOF: What lead you to start Simply Mel & Co?
SMC: I am a major busy body and since I have becoming a SAHM [stay at home mom] I know I needed something to keep me occupied during naps and early bedtimes. Life slows down a lot when you have kids and having this business gives me something to do other than being mom. I love creating and crafting items so I thought I would open a Etsy shop and give it a shot! Having my own business allows me to stay home with my girl. Both my parents own businesses so I've always had a entrepreneurial mindset.
JAOF: Who or what inspires you in your work? 
SMC: I'm inspired by trends, seasons, and making women feel a little extra pretty when they wear something I've created.
JAOF: What is it about Simply Mel & Co that makes you get up in the morning and do it all again?

SMC: Being creative has always been something I've been passionate about.



JAOF: What advice would you give to other women who are hesitant in making that leap to being their own boss and following their passion?

SMC: Just give it a shot! You never will know where your dreams will take you unless you try. My mom is a big inspiration to me. 

JAOF: How do you find working from home?

SMC: Working from home is great during naps and bedtime! Other than that it's a bit of a gong show. It's hard to craft or sew with a busy toddler running around and climbing on you.

JAOF: Balancing being a mom, wife and a job can be tough. What's your secret?

SMC: I take on more than I can handle. If I have too many orders I close my shop so I can catch up. I always put my family first!

JAOF: What would be your top 3 tips about growing a business?

SMC: Make sure to market your product through social media and be consistent and engaging with your followers. Stay passionate and true to yourself.


Thanks so much Mel for sharing with us!
We love your products and we wish you well in your future endeavours!


To purchase Simply Mel & Co visit the Etsy page here.
You can also follow her on Facebook and Pinterest.



All photos are property of Just An Ordinary Family.
Please do not use without permission from JAOF first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line and say hello!