10.07.2010

Canning Tomatoes

This morning and afternoon I canned tomatoes for the first time.
My mom and I have canned together for a long time.
In fact, that is where my camp name "Mason" is from.
Usually we did jams, jellies and salsa.

There is a farm just a few minutes away that I have gotten my produce from a couple of times.
They had a big sign that said "canning tomatoes", so I thought I'd give it a try.
Yesterday at Albertsons (a grocery store) I got all my canning basics.

Here are the tomatoes and the fresh basil, waiting to become tomato sauce

And here are the tomatoes waiting to be canned for soups, stews and maybe even chili.

 The jars are all sanitized and are keeping warm,
preparing themselves to be filled

The tomato sauce brewing away in the pot.
Full of lovely herbs
(in the background is Diane's recipe. Thank you!)

The sauce is ready for the processing 

Boiling away

And done!

And here are the juicy tomatoes, waiting for their turn for the bath.


Can't wait to give it a try!
I still have some more tomatoes to fill my wide mouth jars.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! You Smid ladies are Canning Machines! Do you give lessons? Can pay with 1:1 toddler time! :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line and say hello!