5.10.2015

Mother's Day

Happy  Mother's Day. 

I am filled with such joy 
and pride when I think of my own mother. 
Now as a mom myself, 
I appreciate her on a whole new level. 
That kind of sacrifice, 
That kind of LOVE. 
She is a saint. 

My mother-in-law is so gracious and kind. 
I was the first to marry one of her sons,
and her first daughter-in-law.
She came into the role like a practiced lady.
I am blessed. 

I look at my darling girls 
and my heart swells with pride and joy.
They made me a mother! 
I am so proud to be their mom. 
Lord, help me do this well. 

But, when I think of today,
I also can't help but think of the heartache. 
Perhaps your mom is no longer here. 
For that I am truly sorry. 
Maybe you haven't talked to your 
Mom in a very long time. 
Today, I encourage you to
pick up the phone and simply say 
Happy Mother's Day for life is much too short.

There are women I know who
are just as much a mother as I am, 
but their babies were taken too soon. 
Happy Mother's Day.
You are a mother. 
Your heartache is real. 

On Mother's Day two years ago I
was filled with dread. 
My heart ached with intense longing
to add another baby to our family.
I had the most beautiful girl who
made me a mother, 
but I was not in a good place.
That morning I woke up and wanted to stay in bed.
My husband encouraged me to get up and get dressed
and go to church. 
I did so reluctantly.

That morning Pastor Isaac and his wife
from Nigeria were visiting.
At the end of his sermon he made special mention of
the mothers. He asked each mom to stand up, so I did.
Then he asked all the moms to come forward to the front of the stage.
Typically, I hate this kind of thing. I wanted to just stay in my seat.
Then, he called all the mothers who were contending for pregnancy
forward right to the very front.

It was then that I felt myself being carried.
It almost felt like I was floating.
I went right up in front of the whole church,
and in front of all these women.
With me were three other women,
one I remember looked like she was in her 50s.
Pastor Isaac, in his beautiful thick Nigerian accent, 
prayed over us. I wasn't paying too close attention to his words,
but his wife came up to each of us and placed her hands on our wombs
and way praying in tongues. 
Then, they switched. 
His wife was praying with such authority, she was practically shouting.
She was pacing back and forth in front of us,
asking the Lord for babies.
Pastor Isaac came and anointed each one of us with oil.
It was the most amazing experience I have ever had.

After the service I bumped into my friends Maria and Anna,
and they didn't realize we had gone to that service that day.
Maria said that when they called forward the moms contending 
for pregnancy, she and Anna began to pray fervently for me,
not at all seeing me as I approached the front of the crowd.
That next Tuesday at my moms group one of them women,
also unknowing of what had happened that previous Sunday,
told me she was talking to Pastor Isaac's wife and she had said
that every woman she has prayed for like that has become pregnant.
It was at the end of that year that Jane was conceived. 

What an amazing and memorable Mother's Day!

Ladies, whatever your situation is today.
Joy, sorrow, pain of loss or ache of wanting;
I want to pray for you. 
Please feel free to leave a comment here,
or send me an email at sm.smid@yahoo.ca
and I will commit to praying for you.

Happy Mother's Day to my mom,
to my mother-in-law and to my amazing mommy friends!


photo cred: Aneste Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line and say hello!