12.16.2017

Christmas Season: A Mother's Heart

Christmas has fallen upon us once more.
Softly, tenderly, like the first snow.
There is something so magical about this time of year!
The twinkly lights,
the cozy evenings spent inside cuddles by the fire and tree.
Hot cocoa, movies, sweet treats galore.

And yet...
this season brings so much more.
We have heard the Sunday School answer time and time again.
"Jesus is the reason for the season!"
With all the silliness aside -
that is the simple truth of it all.

Ever since I became a mother
six and a half years ago,
the weight of the Christmas Story 
felt more real and tangible to me.
All of the sudden, as I sat there nursing my little baby,
I felt so close to Mary, mother of Jesus.

I can still remember is so clearly.
Holding Claire all swaddled in my arms.
I had a sense of sisterhood with Mary.
A bond that stretched over hundreds of years.
Now I could truly feel for her as I thought about
riding a donkey for miles very pregnant.
I thought about what it would really mean to give
birth in a place so not worthy of welcoming the Christ Child!

What it meant for her to have the
King of the World at her breast.
Petting his soft hair as he suckled away,
gaining his strength and nourishment from her.
When I gave birth to both my girls,
I felt like the Heavens had opened and 
handed me the world's most precious gift.
For Mary,
the Heavens literally did open up and
gave her the world's Savior to raise into a man
that would ultimately pay the
Ultimate Sacrifice for the sins of the world.

Joy to the world
The Lord has comeLet earth receive her King
Joy to the earth
The Savior reigns
Let men their songs employ
While fields and floods
Rocks, hills, and plains
Repeat the sounding joy
Repeat the sounding joy
Repeat, repeat the sounding joy

With truth and grace
And makes the nations prove
The glories of His righteousness
And wonders of His love
And wonders of His love
And wonders, wonders of His love.


The whole world rejoiced
when the King was born.
A baby,
born to Mary.
The King of Kings,
born to a teenage girl
who was a virgin.

Something about that just hit me.
The significance of the 
Christmas story completely changed for me.
And every Christmas after that 
I think about Mary raising this boy.
Every child is special,
but hers,
now He was truly something else.

He rules the world
With truth and grace
And makes the nations prove
The glories of His righteousness
And wonders of His love
And wonders of His love
And wonders, wonders of His

What about you?
Did you feel a different, stronger connection
to Mary mother of Jesus after becoming a mother yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line and say hello!